A bedroom blaze that broke out at a property in the Moorlands is believed to have been accidentally caused by an overheated phone charger, emergency services say. Members of the Staffordshire Fire & Rescue Service were called to a home on Leek Road in Cheadle after receiving reports of a fire at the dwelling on Monday afternoon (December 13).
A bedroom blaze that broke out at a property in the Moorlands is believed to have been accidentally caused by an overheated phone charger, emergency services say.
Members of the Staffordshire Fire & Rescue Service were called to a home on Leek Road in Cheadle after receiving reports of a fire at the dwelling on Monday afternoon (December 13).
Crews from Longton and Ipstones attended the house at 2pm, locating the fire in a bedroom.
All house occupants had vacated the building by the time they had arrived.
A spokesperson for the West Midlands Ambulance Service told the Times & Echo: “We were called to reports of a property fire on Windy Arbour at 2.25pm, one ambulance attended the scene.
“On arrival we discovered one patient, but they did not wish to be assessed, and we were stood down.”
Firefighters used a hose jet reel and two breathing apparatus to successfully put the fire out at 2.50pm.
A spokesperson for the Staffordshire Fire & Rescue Service further explained: “Firefighters were called to reports of a house fire off Leek Road, Cheadle, yesterday afternoon (Monday, December 13).
“Crews from Longton and Ipstones attended the scene at 2pm and located a fire in the bedroom of a property. All occupants had left the premises prior to the crews’ arrival.
“Firefighters used two breathing apparatus and one extended hose reel jet to successfully extinguish the fire at 2.50pm.
“The cause is believed to be accidental – whereby a mobile phone charger had overheated and ignited.”
The service offered advice to residents to help them prevent such instances with phone chargers occurring in their homes.
The spokesperson added: “When using electronic devices – especially for prolonged periods of time – it is best practice to consider the following safety tips.
“Use the official branded charger that the electronic device is associated with and don’t be tempted by cheap alternatives.
“Ensure that you replace all damaged cables and chargers. Make sure all electrical appliances have a British or European safety mark when you buy them.”
They continued: “Don’t overload your sockets – keep one appliance to one plug where possible.
“Unplug appliances when you are going to bed or not using them.
“High-powered appliances such as washing machines should have a single plug socket.
“Never use square box plug adapters, and if using a strip adapter/extension make sure it’s fused.
“If using a cable drum extension lead, it should be completely unwound to avoid overheating.”
We are the only family run, independent newspaper and magazine business in Staffordshire, established 1896. We are home to three weekly newspapers – The Cheadle and Tean Times (aka The Stunner), The Uttoxeter Echo and The Leek & Moorlands Echo.
We also produce Peeps into the Past, a bi-monthly nostalgic glimpse into our photographic archives, and three bi-monthly glossy lifestyle magazines – Stone and Eccleshall Life, Leek Life and Newcastle Life.
T. 01538 752214 or 753162
18 Tape Street, Cheadle, Staffs ST10 1BD
5 Church Street, Uttoxeter, Staffs ST14 8AG
(Uttoxeter Office is a postal address only)
Other useful contacts:
CURRENT OPENING TIMES
Mon & Tues 9am-11am