A man who was seriously injured at a petrol station fire in the Moorlands remains in a critical condition in hospital. The incident happened on Tuesday (July 27) afternoon at the petrol station in Brookhouses, Cheadle.
A man who was seriously injured at a petrol station fire in the Moorlands remains in a critical condition in hospital.
The incident happened on Tuesday (July 27) afternoon at the petrol station in Brookhouses, Cheadle.
A man, believed to be in his 30s, was airlifted to hospital with life-threatening injuries.
Two air ambulances attended the scene, with one airlifting the man to a Manchester hospital.
A spokesman for West Midlands Air Ambulance said: “We were called to an incident on The Green, Cheadle at 5pm on Tuesday, July 27.
“One ambulance, a paramedic officer, the Midlands Air Ambulance from Staffordshire and the Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Rutland Air Ambulance attended the scene.
“On arrival we discovered one male patient who had suffered serious burn injuries. He received specialist trauma care at the scene before being airlifted to Wythenshaw Hospital for further treatment.”
A spokesman for Staffordshire Police said today (Thursday, July 29): “The man remains in a critical condition in hospital.”
Meanwhile, firefighters have praised the “swift and decisive actions” of petrol station staff who put out the fire using sand and a dry powder extinguisher.
A spokesman for Staffordshire Fire & Rescue said today: “Fire fighters were called at 4.59pm on Tuesday (July 27) to Brookhouse filling station, The Green, Cheadle, to reports of a male being involved in a fire.
“Two crews from Longton attended the scene, with the first crew arriving at 5.11pm.
“The fire had been extinguished prior to the fire service’s arrival.
“Fire fighters took over the delivery of first aid to a male casualty prior to the arrival of the ambulance service.
“The casualty was later taken by air ambulance to hospital in Manchester.”
Fire Investigator, Gary Fox, who attended the scene, added: “Though an investigation is underway, it is our understanding at this time that there are no other persons involved.
“The prompt action of filling station staff in isolating the fuel pumps limited the extent of fire.
“They also used sand and a dry powder extinguisher to put out the fire.
“Their swift and decisive actions, along with those of members of the public, also greatly assisted the casualty and reduced the potential risk to others in the vicinity.”
Police are continuing their appeal for any witnesses to the incident to come forward.
Anyone with any information should message Staffordshire Police on Facebook or Twitter quoting incident number 483 of July 27, call 101 or alternatively contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
We are the only family run, independent newspaper and magazine business in Staffordshire, established 1896. We are home to three weekly newspapers – The Cheadle and Tean Times (aka The Stunner), The Uttoxeter Echo and The Leek & Moorlands Echo.
We also produce Peeps into the Past, a bi-monthly nostalgic glimpse into our photographic archives, and three bi-monthly glossy lifestyle magazines – Stone and Eccleshall Life, Leek Life and Newcastle Life.
T. 01538 752214 or 753162
18 Tape Street, Cheadle, Staffs ST10 1BD
5 Church Street, Uttoxeter, Staffs ST14 8AG
(Uttoxeter Office is a postal address only)
Other useful contacts:
CURRENT OPENING TIMES
Mon & Tues 9am-11am