A PENSIONER has admitted she is lucky to have avoided injury after a fire at her home.
Quick-thinking Edna Pattinson sprang into action when she discovered a kitchen roll left on top of a ceramic hob in flames.
The 76-year-old, who lives in Meir Heath, doused the fire with a wet tea towel and took the roll holder outside to cover it in snow before calling 999.
Relieved Edna admitted she was lucky to avoid injury and significant damage to her home.
And she is now supporting a safety campaign launched by Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service last week.
The ‘Get Out Stay Out’ initiative aims to raise awareness of the dangers of tackling a fire yourself, attempting to gather belongings or re-entering a building during a blaze.
See the full story inside this week’s Times and Echo newspaper or click here to subscribe online.
We are the only family run, independent newspaper and magazine business in Staffordshire, established 1896. We are home to three weekly newspapers – The Cheadle and Tean Times (aka The Stunner), The Uttoxeter Echo and The Leek & Moorlands Echo.
We also produce Peeps into the Past, a bi-monthly nostalgic glimpse into our photographic archives, and three bi-monthly glossy lifestyle magazines – Stone and Eccleshall Life, Leek Life and Newcastle Life.
T. 01538 752214 or 753162
18 Tape Street, Cheadle, Staffs ST10 1BD
5 Church Street, Uttoxeter, Staffs ST14 8AG
(Uttoxeter Office is a postal address only)
Other useful contacts:
CURRENT OPENING TIMES
Mon & Tues 9am-11am