Magazine Background Image

“I was gearing up to have a difficult conversation with my mum”

Times Echo and Life / All News / “I was gearing up to have a difficult conversation with my mum”
1 month, 22 days agoNo Comments.

“I was gearing up to have a difficult conversation with my mum”

By timesecholife on in All News, Latest News

THE SON of a gentleman from the Moorlands who made a remarkable recovery from coronavirus says the family is “really relieved.” 82-year-old Sid Lovenbury, from Cheadle, was admitted to the Royal Stoke University Hospital last month after showing symptoms of Covid-19 where he tested positive for the virus. Sid had been at nursing home residence Church Terrace, in Cheadle, when staff discovered he had a high fever. They called out for a doctor twice before Sid was sent to hospital.

His son, David, said it was a very worrying time for him and Mum Jean but said they did not “attach any responsibility whatsoever” on the home, describing the home as “fantastic” and a “phenomenal establishment.”

“We want to underline that Church Terrace is a fabulous facility, is spotlessly clean with lots of hand sanitiser, and is a phenomenal establishment,” David told the Times and Echo.

“We want to thank them for looking after my dad who has vascular dementia which is a brutally, horrible disease.”

David’s mum last saw his father on March 14 before Church Terrace was closed to visitors – a week before Sid’s temperature started peaking above 37.8 degrees Celsius.

A nurse told David that while in hospital, Sid was comfortable and not in any distress.

David said: “I spoke to a nurse called Lisa who was superb and explained everything that would happen. Then either my mum or myself rang the hospital every day he was in.”

David, who is a trustee of charity Dementia Matters, said he was starting to plan his father’s funeral, after hearing what had happened to ‘high-risk’ coronavirus patients and fearing the worst.

“I thought he was going to die,” he explained. “When we are self-isolating, you have a long time to think about things whereas if I was at work I probably wouldn’t have.

“I was devastated to hear that my father had Covid-19, and I was getting used to the thought that he wasn’t leaving hospital.

“I was gearing up to have a difficult conversation with my mum that the reality of the situation was that neither of us would have been able to go to his funeral.

“Fortunately, we didn’t have that conversation but we did start locating life insurance documents, thinking about which distant relatives we needed to tell and putting an announcement in the newspaper.

“I had grieved and mourned for my father years ago because of how viscous vascular dementia is.

“He is my father but he’s not the man he used to be.”

David described how he was astonished when hospital staff told him that his father, who worked on the Midlands Electricity Board for most of his career, was getting ready to be discharged.

“It was a pleasant surprise but also a big one too,” he explained.

“I’d been hearing on the news that if you are in the high-risk categories, you were toast basically.

“So I was really, really shocked to hear he was going back to the care home. I asked to speak to a doctor so I could wrap my head around it all – I wasn’t disagreeing with the nurse, I just wanted to know more.

“He was very candid and very transparent and said that no two people are showing the same symptoms.

“He said some people in high-risk categories were fighting it off and surviving while others in low risk categories were dying – it’s completely random.

“He said that they had regulated his temperature and fever and he had had antibiotics and was not on any oxygen so could go home.”

Before the onset of dementia, David said his father was a very fit man, having played football up until his early 40s and retiring at 71 after going into-semi-retirement at 55 having grown up in Leek before making his home in Werrington once wedded to Jean.

“He is the same weight now as he was when he was 21,” David stated.

“But even now, when you shake hands, it is a big strong shake. After 55, Dad worked two or three hours a week, saving up ‘pocket money’ so he could buy his Stoke City season ticket.”

Sid is currently self-isolating, as are all residents, at Church Terrace and is believed to be doing “very well.”

“Mum is keeping in touch on a daily basis,” David continued.

“We are really relieved that we get the chance to spend more time with him. It’s quite emotional, I don’t like visiting the home as it’s really sad.

“There are 20 men and 20 women who are really, really poorly but I hope one positive to come out of all of this is that there is a correction in society as the girls looking after my Dad and others are on minimum wage and were deemed ‘unskilled’.”

David added: “All those working in the supermarkets in Cheadle and all serving staff who are coming into contact with people every day – all of these people are on minimum wage.

“I hope that this gets recognised and that it changes.”


Share this post:


Comments will appear once approved by our administrators, your email address will not be displayed.

timesecholife -

Pre Footer 2 571×105 (Left)
Pre Footer 1 571×105 (Right)

Web Design Company