Magazine Background Image

Garden sheds and toilet block damaged by ‘mindless vandalism’

Times Echo and Life / All News / Garden sheds and toilet block damaged by ‘mindless vandalism’
3 years, 2 months agoNo Comments.
30 MAY

Garden sheds and toilet block damaged by ‘mindless vandalism’

By timesecholife on in All News, Latest News

GARDEN sheds, fencing and a public toilet block have been damaged after 'mindless vandalism' caused a fire by a town's recreation grounds. The incident happened at around 7pm last Wednesday (May 22) at the back of the recreation grounds in Tean Road, Cheadle. Staffordshire Police have confirmed that they were called to a report of a shed fire on Mill Road, Cheadle at around 7.30pm on May 22.

A spokesman for the force said: “A 12-year-old boy from Cheadle was arrested on suspicion of arson and has since been released under investigation pending further enquiries.

Anyone with further information should contact quoting incident number 672 of May 22.”

A spokesman for Staffordshire Fire & Rescue confirmed that the incident happened at the back of two houses in Mill Road, by the rec.

They said: “Some twigs and leaves were deliberately set alight, and as they were dry, a fire took hold and spread to a wooden fence, two domestic sheds, and to the fascia boarding of a toilet block.

We were called about the incident at 7.10pm and two hose reel jets were used to put the fire out.

We cleared the incident by 11pm the same evening.”

Cheadle Town Mayor Ian Plant said he was very disappointed about the incident, especially as the council has spent lots of money on enhancing play provision at the rec.

He said: “I am obviously disappointed about what has happened. It’s just mindless vandalism.

We have been spending a lot of money on the rec to give these youngsters things to do and now need to spend more money on something like this.

We have spent money on the tennis courts, a multi use games area, new play equipment and skatepark.

And only last year, we spent around £3,000-£4,000 on a new roof for the toilet block.

We have not got a price yet for how much it is going to cost to get the toilet block repaired. We are waiting to hear back from our insurance company.”

Mr Plant added that he felt sorry for the residents whose sheds caught fire during this incident.

He said: “There’s also the knock on effect that this incident has had with the residents having their sheds affected by the fire.

However I am pleased that no one was hurt in the incident.”

Share this post:


Comments will appear once approved by our administrators, your email address will not be displayed.

timesecholife -

Pre Footer 2 571×105 (Left)
Pre Footer 1 571×105 (Right)

Web Design Company