A council is having to use more than £1,000 in tax payers money to repair and clean up a public toilet facility after a fire broke out at the premises. The incident happened at the public toilets on New Road in Upper Tean on Saturday, August 29.
A council is having to use more than £1,000 in tax payers money to repair and clean up a public toilet facility after a fire broke out at the premises.
The incident happened at the public toilets on New Road in Upper Tean on Saturday, August 29.
Staffordshire Moorlands District Council (SMDC), which manages the facility, has confirmed that it is set to cost £1,200 to repair and clean up the damage which the fire caused.
The damage was caused to the ladies loo block which remain closed as work is set to take place to repair and clean up.
A spokesman for Staffordshire Moorlands District Council said: “The ladies toilets in Tean are currently closed following an incident of vandalism.
“The council is repairing the damage, at a cost of £1,200, and anticipates being able to re-open the toilet sometime this week.”
Both the police and the fire service were called to the fire, which happened just before 2pm on Saturday, August 29.
A spokesman for Staffordshire Police said: “We received reports shortly before 2pm on Saturday, August 29 of a bin fire at the public toilets on New Road in Upper Tean.
“Officers attended and forensic analysis was carried out. Enquiries continue.”
A spokesman for Staffordshire Fire & Rescue service said: “We received a call of a bin fire at the public toilets on New Road in Upper Tean shortly before 2pm on Saturday, August 29.
“A crew from Cheadle attended but the fire was already extinguished by the time they arrived.”
Tean resident Pam Lovatt, who cleans the facility, told the Times & Echo that she believes it was children playing with fire which caused the blaze.
She said: “A lad came knocking on my door to tell me that the toilets were on fire, and that he had seen some children messing about in there.
“I think it’s just terrible, children should not be playing with fire.”
Pam, who has been cleaning the toilets for around eight years, added: “This has not happened before.
“I’ve seen the damage it has caused. It’s all burned inside with lots of smoke damage.
“The toilets are shut now so that it can be cleaned and painted.”
We are the only family run, independent newspaper and magazine business in Staffordshire, established 1896. We are home to three weekly newspapers – The Cheadle and Tean Times (aka The Stunner), The Uttoxeter Echo and The Blythe and Forsbrook Times.
We also produce Peeps into the Past, a bi-monthly nostalgic glimpse into our photographic archives, and three bi-monthly glossy lifestyle magazines – Stone and Eccleshall Life, Leek Life and Newcastle Life.
T. 01538 752214 or 753162
18 Tape Street, Cheadle, Staffs ST10 1BD
T. 01889 562479
5 Church Street, Uttoxeter, Staffs ST14 8AG (Uttoxeter Office is a postal address only) CURRENT OPENING TIMES
Mon & Tues 9am-11am