A public house in the Moorlands, which dated back to at least 1837, has been demolished. The former public house of The Flying Horse on Ashbourne Road in Leek has been completely demolished to make way for housing.
A public house in the Moorlands, which dated back to at least 1837, has been demolished.
The former public house of The Flying Horse on Ashbourne Road in Leek has been completely demolished to make way for housing.
The demolition of the Flying Horse for housing follows the demolition of the Pride of the Moorlands in Junction Road, Leek in 2019, also for housing, and the Travellers Rest in Leekbrook is also set for a similar fate for the same reason.
Leek author Neil Collingwood, who has written a book about the history of many of the Leek public houses – former and current – has kindly supplied us with the following information about the Flying Horse: “The Flying Horse was first referred to as a ‘beerhouse’ in 1837 meaning that it could sell beer and cider but not spirits or fortified wine.
“It remained a beerhouse until at least 1934 but sometime around then became ‘Full Licensed’ so that it could sell all forms of alcoholic beverages.
“In the 1950s the pub was known as either the ‘Romping Donkey’ a play on its real name, or the ‘Maternity Arms’ given its position opposite the Moorland’s Hospital’s Maternity Ward.
“One licensee moved in, served for one evening but was later visited by the Police because he had a criminal record prohibiting him from running a pub. He was forced to move out the following day.
“There is a set of plans by John Thomas Brealey in Stafford Record Office showing proposed alterations to the pub dated August 1900. J.T. Brealey was the architect of the Butter Market and the old Fire Station.”
Neil’s book ‘Leek – A Historic Pub Crawl’ is a comprehensive history of the 151 pubs that he was able to identify that have existed in the town of Leek. It can be purchased direct from Neil, with a current ‘Black Friday’ price of £11 (instead of £15), by calling Neil on 01538 386606 or emailing him on email@example.com.
Photos by Chris Thompson
We are the only family run, independent newspaper and magazine business in Staffordshire, established 1896. We are home to three weekly newspapers – The Cheadle and Tean Times (aka The Stunner), The Uttoxeter Echo and The Leek & Moorlands Echo.
We also produce Peeps into the Past, a bi-monthly nostalgic glimpse into our photographic archives, and three bi-monthly glossy lifestyle magazines – Stone and Eccleshall Life, Leek Life and Newcastle Life.
T. 01538 752214 or 753162
18 Tape Street, Cheadle, Staffs ST10 1BD
5 Church Street, Uttoxeter, Staffs ST14 8AG
(Uttoxeter Office is a postal address only)
Other useful contacts:
CURRENT OPENING TIMES
Mon & Tues 9am-11am